The information required to file a Canadian trademark application
If you are ready to file a Canadian trademark now, you can use this simple online form. Of course, you can also contact us by phone or email.
More information about the concepts in this list (for instance, the date of first ‘use’ in Canadian trademark law and the countries in the ‘union’) can be found under Detailed Information on this website.
In order to file your Canadian trademark application we need:
- The full legal name of the applicant.
- The full address of the applicant (principal office or place of business).
- The trademark. If it is a design mark, the design (preferably in suitable electronic format).
- The products for which the trademark is used or intended (provide a list).
- The services for which the trademark is used or intended (provide a list).
- Whether the trademark been used yet in Canada: yes/no. If yes, the date of first use in Canada (month and year) for each product and service.
NOTE: for products this is the date of first sale in Canada, for services this is the date of advertisement in Canada.
- If the trademark has already been filed outside Canada, we require particulars of the application/registration (a copy is preferred), including the country where filed.
- If the filing outside Canada is a pending application or an application filed within the past 6 months
- The date of filing; and,
- The application number.
- If the trademark has already been registered outside Canada:
- The date of registration; and,
- The registration number.
- Whether the trademark has been used in any other country of the union other than Canada: yes/no. If yes, which country?
We would be pleased to guide you through this information step by step.
You can send us the required information by email or phone. Or, you can complete our online Canadian trademark filing form and send the information (and any questions that you have) to us directly.
We respond to all inquiries within 2 business days (usually less).
A Power of Attorney form is not required for filing in Canada. As Agent and Representative for Service, we do not require the applicant’s signature on the application.